In 1837 the Gooderham and Worts distillery went into business. It thrived and grew over the next few decades. In fact the site was a distillery until 1990 at which point it was abandoned and left to become derelict. In 2003 the site was renovated and re-opened as a collection of shops, galleries, studios, restaurants, cafes and theatres. Much of the original architecture remains.
For more information see http://www.distilleryheritage.com