Both Adelaide St. East and Richmond St. East pass over King Street as they converge into Eastern Avenue. Recently the concrete supports that help hold up these overpasses have been painted in bright, bold pictures. The murals are entitled ‘Frozen Memories’ and they were designed and painted by street artist Shalak Attack with help from Bruno Smoky and Fiya Bruxa.
Each pillar has a large face on the side that faces King Street and a picture that depicts something representative of Corktown on the other sides.
These murals are a part of the StreetARToronto Underpass Program or “StART UP.”
Enoch Turner established Toronto’s first free school in the Corktown area in 1848.
Two of the main industries in Corktown were bricks and beer. One pillar pays homage to the people who worked in these industries, including this bricklayer.
This mural is a another tribute to the early days of Corktown. Sailing ships, maps and compasses are for the immigrants that came here. The first church built in Corktown was Little Trinity in 1843. It’s stained glass window is shown here.